As individuals age, they often need a bit more help with their day-to-day activities. The question then becomes whether or not that individual should continue to live at home (this can be either in a house or an independent living situation) or move into a more structured community like an Assisted Living. In-home care is a great option for many people in order to stay independent and has many benefits. Some of these benefits are as follows:
1. Older individuals who live at home are able to maintain a level of freedom that would not be possible in a long-term care facility. For many, this freedom is synonymous with maintaining dignity, which is something many individuals fear loosing as they age. Similarly, those who receive in-home care can come and go as they please – for whatever reason. They can also choose their own meal times and do whatever they want whenever they want to – it’s all up to them.
2. In-home care allows the individual to stay physically close to the things they love. Their prized possessions do not have to be condensed and stored as they move into a single room. Being able to keep these items readily available is important because they often have sentimental value and are tied to countless memories. Individuals are able to keep any pets they may have if they live at home. Studies have shown that people with pets tend to be less stressed, which can lead to a longer lifespan.
3. Visiting hours are not restricted at home, so friends and family can visit on a time schedule that works for them. This lack of restriction often leads to more frequent visits, which helps individuals stay connected to their families. In a long-term care facility family members often feel that their love one is getting help and enough socialization that they don’t need to visit as much.
4. In-home care can help the individual maintain better health. In places where many people live together, such as a long-term care facility, illness spreads very quickly and if one person gets sick, others get sick. At home, sick guests can be asked to postpone their visit until they are well.
5. With in-home care, the person does not have to deal with the emotional stress of adding multiple new elements into their lives. They will not have to adapt to a new routine in a new place, surrounded by new people.
6. Long-term care facilities can be very expensive and, in some cases, far away from other family members’ homes, especially in less populated areas. In many cases, the individual has already paid off their mortgage, which can substantially reduce the cost of caregiving at home. The stressors related to the actual moving process are also eliminated.
7. And last but not least, many older persons who live at home are simply happier. For most, the comforts of home truly are priceless.
It is now easier than ever for older persons to live at home. There are many services that are both simple to use and affordable. In-home care products and services, such as security systems make living at home a viable option, and in many cases enable you to honor your loved one’s wishes to remain in their home.
For more specific information about all our services and costs contact New Horizons In-Home Care – 1-877-687-8851 (Serving all of Lane, Linn-Benton, and Marion-Polk-Yamhill counties of Oregon.