It’s a fact: the great majority of today’s seniors would like to age in place instead of facing a move to a nursing home or assisted living facility. And for good reason: home care services empower elderly adults to experience safety and protection, while retaining the comfort and familiarity of home and their local community. When the difficulties of aging or chronic conditions cause concerns to arise about a senior’s capability to remain safely at home, professional home care agencies, like New Horizons In-Home Care, the home health care Albany and surrounding area families trust, offer a viable solution. Continue Reading →
Fairly recently, it seemed there was just no other alternative for older individuals with care needs than to face a move to a nursing home or assisted living facility. And many people presume this is still how it works. And yet, home care services have continued to rise in popularity and availability, and more older individuals are now choosing to age in place at home. Continue Reading →
Tips for Celebrating the Holidays with the Person with Dementia
The Joy of the Holidays
Whether you grew up Jewish, like myself, Christian or Muslim, we all have one thing in common – family get-togethers during the holidays. Usually these get-togethers involve a lot of food and, at times, gift exchanges. But no matter what the holiday or the tradition is, the focal point is always on the ‘get-together’ part. This once or twice-a-year event is when family members, who may rarely see one another, put aside all family dynamics and come together to celebrate holiday traditions Continue Reading →
Maintaining a healthy diet for cancer patients is especially critical for those undergoing chemo or another type of cancer treatment, but one of the significant side effects stopping patients from eating well is a change in how food tastes. It’s important to conquer this and other challenges to healthy eating in an effort to maintain the strength needed for chemotherapy treatments and to safeguard against infections. Eating a balanced diet might even help cancer patients better manage higher amounts of certain types of medicines. Continue Reading →
For quite a few survivors of breast cancer, the irritation of continuing hot flashes – sometimes as often as multiple times each day – makes day-to-day life a struggle. And although there are a variety of treatment choices available, one unexpected therapy is beginning to rise in popularity: acupuncture. Continue Reading →
Medications can both enhance and save lives, but there is a hidden risk that can lead to dire consequences — the threat of medication non-compliance. Continue Reading →
With more than 10,000 prescription drugs available in the U.S., it’s no surprise that so many older adults – approximately one in three – are taking at least five of them each and every day. And family caregivers understand firsthand the difficulty of managing these medications for seniors. As a matter of fact, studies have shown that approximately 55% of prescription medications are being taken incorrectly for a variety of reasons, and the results can be exceedingly harmful. Continue Reading →
Do you have an aging loved one resisting the truth that he/she is in need of some additional help at home? One of the biggest concerns we have as we age is the loss of freedom and the ability to continue to live at home alone. Because of this fear, it can be very challenging to request or to accept the help we truly need. If you’re experiencing the struggle of introducing home care, New Horizons In-Home Care in western Oregon has some helpful ideas to try:
- Introduce the older adult to the care provider before care begins to establish a relationship so that the caregiver is not considered a complete stranger.
- If the older adult is concerned about having someone he or she isn’t acquainted with in the residence, consider having a family member on hand for the first few visits.
- New Horizons In-Home Care can help with selecting a caregiver who shares a similar personality with the older person. This can make having a caregiver seem more like a companion.
- Make home care seem more appealing by laying out the alternatives for the senior, like having to move away from home, moving into an assisted living facility, etc.
- Place the focus on you. Let the older adult know that you realize he/she is very independent, but having a caregiver around will help minimize your concerns.
- Start small with a demo run. Have an in-home caregiver come in once a week for a few hours just to take care of some light housecleaning or laundry and then increase to additional care after the older adult is more comfortable.
Providing senior care in Albany and the surrounding area, New Horizons In-Home Care can help you work through this difficult time with your older loved one and find the perfect care solution. Whether the senior’s need is for just a couple of hours each week, full-time, 24/7 care, or anything in between, we can assist in a wide variety of ways, such as:
- Meal preparation
- Light housecleaning and laundry
- Running errands
- Transportation and accompaniment to appointments and outings
- Personal care tasks
- Specialized care for Alzheimer’s and other chronic diseases
- And much more
We know how challenging it can be when older adults feel like they’re losing their independence. Contact us today to learn how our senior care in Albany and the surrounding areas can help you and the senior you love!