These days, older adults are overrun with a surge of high-tech products focused on improving their self-reliance and safety and providing life enhancement. At a touch of a button or two, seniors can automatically pay a visit “in person” with friends and relatives through Skype, wear a pendant that responds with emergency help when needed, and even remain safe from wandering with specialized sensors attached to apparel or shoes.
The question becomes how to inspire older adults (and family members who care for them) to shift from a low-tech mindset to enjoying all that’s available to them. New Horizons In-Home Care wants to help families overcome technology hurdles for seniors. AARP reports that as few as 7% of family care providers are using technology solutions in their care, but that 71% are interested in using technology that would help make caregiving easier. Why is there such a massive gap between the interest and use of care technology solutions?
Some typical hurdles:
- Stigma. Many people see the use of some technology, such as medical alert pendants, as equal to a loss of their freedom.
- Finding help. Troubleshooting problems with technology leads many older adults and their caregivers to quit attempting to get devices to work.
- A lack of time. Carving out time to learn and attempt something new is particularly daunting for busy families who care for their loved ones.
If you’d like to try and integrate health care technology into senior caregiving but are facing these difficulties, call on New Horizons In-Home Care and our team in senior care in Eugene and the surrounding areas for assistance. Our competent and patient care professionals can help overcome the technological obstacles by:
- Recommending technology that fits a senior’s personality and challenges
- Providing instruction on how to use the technology
Whether it is teaching someone how to enjoy applications on a smartphone, or arranging for a personal medical alert system, we can keep older adults connected to friends and family and help them enjoy life to the fullest. Reach out to our experts in senior care in Eugene and the surrounding areas any time in Eugene: 541-687-8851, Corvallis: 541-752-9059, Salem: 503-400-3000, or Florence: 541-997-8115 to learn more.