A recent study found an association between loss of kidney function and declines in memory and reasoning. The study suggests that maintaining health kidneys may be one way to protect against cognitive decline. Often kidney function problems are not identified until there is a substantial reduction in their function. To protect your kidneys you can help by following these suggestions:
- Request a urinalysis and blood test when you have regular check-ups.
- Maintain healthy blood pressure levels
- Keep levels of LDL(bad) cholesterol and triglycerides within healthy range
- Drink plenty of water
- Reduce your sodium intake to less than 1,500 milligrams per day
- Quit smoking, limit alcohol to 1 drink per day
- Limit diet sodas
- Consume lean meat
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables
- Control your weight
Incorporate these into your life and you should experience positive results.